Keeping your swimming pool at the right temperature is crucial to make sure it stays comfortable, and more importantly, safe for your family and friends. Pool thermometers can help you keep a pulse on that temperature all the time.
There are many on the market to choose from, so how do you make the decision? I’ll help you out with my reviews of the best pool thermometers.
Pool Thermometers: My Top Picks
Aquatix Pro Large Floating Pool Thermometer
⭐ Best Value
We marked the Aquatix Pro Large Floating Pool Thermometer as the best value overall on my list. It can read up to a maximum temperature of 120 degrees while offering the readout on a large display. Since it is an analog thermometer design, you should expect it to take a few minutes to get a proper reading once you place it in your pool. stuff
This device will float, but you need to fill the reservoir so that it will stay horizontal in the water. The good news is that it is easy to clean.
It comes with a one-year warranty and is shatter resistant. It is also quite durable and offers an accuracy of +/- four to eight degrees.
- NO GUESS WORK: Aquatix Pro Pool Thermometers Provide Accurate Reading in Both Fahrenheit and Celsius. Maximum Temperature 120F and 50C.
- PREMIUM BUILD: Large Swimming Pool Thermometer, Exceptional Quality, Built from Durable Material & Shatter Resistant.
- EASY TO USE: Large Temperature Reading Display in Fahrenheit and Celsius. Reads Up to 100 Fahrenheit and 40 Celsius.
- COMPATIBLE: Ideal as a Pool Water Thermometer, Pool Spa Thermometer, Hot Tubs, Fish Ponds, Aquariums and All Other Types of Systems.
- OUR PROMISE: We go the extra mile to ensure you are fully satisfied with your purchase. With the Aquatix Pro satisfaction promise you get one year...
- Maximum readout: 100 degrees
- Large display
- One-year warranty
- Highly durable
- Easy to read
- No backlight on the readout
- Accuracy varies
Ambient Weather Wireless 8-Channel Floating Pool Thermometer
⭐ Best Wi-Fi Thermometer
We voted the Ambient Weather Wireless 8-Channel Floating Pool Thermometer as the best Wi-Fi thermometer. This device has a backlit readout and easy-to-read digital display.
Because it is wireless, you can check your pool temp right from the comfort of your couch. It also provides readings on outside air temperature and humidity.
The outside unit runs on solar power with a battery backup. The inside unit has an AC power cord that comes with it as well.
Accuracy is about five degrees off on average. The device offers a wide temperature reading, so you could also use it in a hot tub if you desire.
- LCD display
- Eight channel selectable switch
- Thermometer update rate: 60 seconds
- Min/Max Memory for indoor/outdoor temperature
- Monitors temperature in up to 8 remote locations
- AC adapter
- Wide temperature range
- Can see pool temperatures from the handheld unit
- Wide temperature range
- Backlit readout
- Does need a clear line of sight from unit to thermometer
- Auto-reconnect does not always work properly
Etekcity Infrared Thermometer Gun
⭐ Best Laser Thermometer
If you want something a bit different, take a look at my pick for the best laser thermometer, the Etekcity Infrared Thermometer Gun. This device is a handheld unit that you point at the water to get a reading. You will not need to place it in the pool.
This digital unit has a lighted readout screen. One thing to keep in mind is that your reading will be for the surface temperature only. The laser will not penetrate under the surface. Because of this, readings will be about five degrees off.
However, this is a very accurate device, so as long as you remember to subtract five degrees, you should have a fairly decent idea of the actual water temperature.
- NOT FOR HUMAN: Temperature readings from these devices are inanimate objects. The measured temperature for humans or animals will be inaccurate
- BETTER ACCURACY: 12:1 D:S, meaning it can accurately measure targets at greater distances compared to most others; For best accuracy, the distance...
- TARGET QUICKER: Measure surface temperature ranging from -58℉ to 716℉(-50℃ to 380℃), with 2 units ℉/℃ to choose; Response time: ≤500Ms;...
- VERSATILE DESIGN: Infrared technology makes it to measure the surface temperature of various objects especially temperatures above boiling points and...
- Note: This color model don't contain emissivity adjustment feature and max temperature feature
- Lighted readout
- No-contact reading
- Large temperature range
- Auto on/off
- Low battery indicator
- No contact required
- High accuracy
- Fast results
- Must account for temperature variation
- Runs on battery power
GAME 14030-BB Solar Digital Pool & Spa Thermometer
⭐ Best Thermometer with an LCD Display
If you have a hard time reading the display on other thermometers, then consider the GAME 14030-BB Solar Digital Pool & Spa Thermometer. This a solar device with a dual display. You can look at it from any angle and quickly read the large number display on both sides of the unit.
For the best performance, you should use the included tether to prevent the thermometer from going under the water, causing fogging and function issues. This is a very accurate device with accuracy within two degrees.
- SOLAR POWERED: The GAME Solar Digital Pool and Spa Thermometer is solar powered which means no batteries are needed. This floating swimming pool...
- LARGE, EASY-TO-READ NUMBERS: This floating temperature gauge features large, easy-to-read numbers on a double-sided LCD screen that is angled allowing...
- TEMPERATURES IN FAHRENHEIT OR CELSIUS: Our pool and hot tub thermometer is made from high-quality, shatter-resistant materials. Use the blue button to...
- TETHER INCLUDED: For easy installation and a secure fit, we’ve built a durable and long-lasting tether. The tether helps to prevent it from floating...
- PAIRS PERFECTLY WTH OTHER GAME PRODUCTS: Our wireless pool thermometer design is produced by GAME. This thermometer pairs perfectly with other great...
- Solar power
- Double display
- Double display with large numbers
- Works great even on cloudy days
- Excellent accuracy
- Display may fog due to sealing issues
Milliard Floating Pool Thermometer
⭐ Most Kid Friendly
The Milliard Floating Pool Thermometer is my choice for the most kid-friendly. Why? Once you see it, you will understand. This thermometer has a cute polar bear, fish, or other figure on the top that not only looks adorable but also serves to keep it afloat in the water.
It is an ABS plastic material that will stand up to years of use and sun exposure. The colors are muted so that there are no obvious signs of age or fading. It has an analog readout, which is under the water’s surface at all times. You will have to lift it from the water to read the temperature.
It will capture temperatures up to 120 degrees. Accuracy is decent with a variation of +/- five degrees, which seems to be the norm with even the best pool thermometers.
- Thermometer is 7” tall and reads in both F° and C°
- Includes rope tether to keep the thermometer from floating away
- Fish-shaped top adds fun and décor to your pool
- Made from durable ABS plastic to last from season to season
- No more guesswork with accurate temperature readings
- Maximum temperature reading: 120 degrees
- ABS plastic
- Cute polar bear design
- Long-lasting and durable
- Accuracy is good
- Looks cute
- Must remove it from the water to read
- Small readout
Recap: The Best Pool Thermometers
- Aquatix Pro Large Floating Pool Thermometer: Best Value
- Ambient Weather Wireless 8-Channel Floating Pool Thermometer: Best Wi-Fi Thermometer
- Etekcity Infrared Thermometer Gun: Best Laser Thermometer
- GAME 14030-BB Solar Digital Pool & Spa Thermometer: Best Thermometer with an LCD Display
- Milliard Floating Pool Thermometer: Most Kid Friendly
Our Research Criteria
When assessing the many thermometers on the market, we used specific criteria to help me make my choices. I suggest that you also consider these factors to help you make your final decision. I evaluated the following:
- Accuracy and Consistency
- Easy to Use
- Power source
Accuracy and Consistency
The whole point of a thermometer is to get an accurate temperature reading. If the thermometer is never reading correctly, then it isn’t beneficial. When it comes to thermometers, you can expect some variations because getting accuracy requires calibration, which is not an easy task.
So, instead of focusing solely on the accuracy, look to consistency. If you know that your thermometer consistently reads at five degrees off, then you will be able to know the true temperature. However, if every time you get a reading, the accuracy varies, it is not going to be helpful to you.
This makes consistency more important than accuracy. If you get consistent readings that are all off by the same amount, then it is more usable than a thermometer that is always giving you different accuracy in its readings.
Easy to Use
A pool thermometer should not be too complex. It is a simple device that should only require the slightest effort to use. If your thermometer continually needs you to adjust it, clean it, move it, or do something else with it other than just read the display, then it is not very easy to use.
Look for thermometers that will float nicely, if they are a floatable kind. If they are digital, make sure they do not have a lot of complicated instructions or unnecessary features. The display should be easy to read without getting a flashlight or mess with taking it out of the pool so you can see it well enough to read it.
Confirming a safe pool temperature should be almost effortless. You may need to clean it once or twice a season, but other than that, it should be virtually maintenance-free and allow you to see the temperature reading at a glance without a lot of hassle.
Pool thermometers should last for multiple seasons. Many pool accessories have short lifespans, but thermometers do not fall into this category. Due to their simple design, they can withstand the heat and the other climate issues associated with a pool.
The thermometer you choose should not break down easily and should maintain its function for many seasons. While some fading of colors is no big deal, you should have to do anything to keep it reading the temperature year after year.
The power source may not seem like a huge issue, but you will probably have a different opinion once you start using the thermometer. You need to seriously think about whether analog or digital is the best option for you.
Analog thermometers will typically be very low maintenance because they don’t have a power source. You just put it in the pool and forget it.
Digital thermometers require more work. They usually have batteries or solar power that will keep them working. You may need to charge them or change the batteries to keep the device working. This may require a little more work on your part.
When it comes to the power type, you will generally choose between solar and battery, which both have their pros and cons. Batteries obviously require changing them out as needed. This might require a special tool, and there may be no warning the batteries are about to die.
Solar power units require sun exposure to keep working. It’s best to find a unit that will operate on minimal sun or one that contains storage so that you’ll still be able to get a reading even on cloudy days.
Questions? Drop me a line, I’m happy to help in any way that I can. Head over to my pool products article for more recommendations on essential supplies.
As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases. Participation in these programs helps us keep the lights on at PoolResearch.com and in no way impacts our research process or editorial opinions.