Finding the best pool backwash hose is all about understanding what the hose is doing for your pool.
A backwash hose works with the pool filter to keep contaminants out of the water. The pool filter removes the pollutants in the first place, and the backwash hose then clears the contaminants out of the filter and away from the pool.
To find the best pool backwash hose for you, consider how far you’ll be sending the backwashed water and how often you plan to use the hose. To make the decision easier for you, we’ve reviewed the best pool backwash hose options on the market right now.
Pool Backwash Hoses: Our Top Picks
GORILLA Swimming Pool Backwash Hose
⭐ Best Heavy Duty Hose
This GORILLA hose is nothing like those flimsy blue hoses you may have used before to backwash your filter.
This black hose is five times more durable than other standard pool backwash hoses. It also comes equipped with a stainless steel hose clamp that can lock the hose when not in use.
The hose is made in 25, 50, or 100 feet in length, depending on where you need to dump the backwashed water. The hose is 2″ in diameter throughout and fits without an attachment on pool filters that are 2″ in diameter or less.
This heavy-duty hose is an excellent choice if you need to transport the water a long distance or are worried about durability. This PVC-reinforced hose is sure to last several years for your filter cleaning needs.
- BIG SUMMER BLOWOUT $10 off regular price***
- GORILLA Backwash hoses are 5X stronger than standard blue hoses
- Caution: This is not your typical flimsy blue hose found at your local pool store. This is a heavy-duty reinforced commercial grade PVC hose that is...
- Built GORILLA tough and made to last GUARANTEED. Each hose comes with a new Stainless Steel hose clamp
- This hose is designed to fit over a standard size filter outlet (1.5" schedule 40 PVC pipe has a 2" diameter). Be sure to measure your filter outlet...
- Inside diameter: 2″
- Length: 25′, 50′ or 100′
- Material: Commercial-grade PVC
- Includes a stainless steel hose clamp
- Reportedly 5x stronger than typical blue pool hoses
- Will not easily attach to the 2″ filter if even slightly warped or damaged
HydroMaxx 2″ Diameter Heavy Duty Lay Flat Backwash Hose
⭐ Best High Pressure Hose
The HydroMaxx heavy duty backwash hose is designed for chemicals, water, and other fluids to pass through it at a quick rate, making it a perfect tool for backwashing your pool filter.
The blue hose is made of a circularly woven polyester fiber to guarantee reinforcement and strength. The material also includes a UV protectant layer to block harmful UV rays from damaging the hose.
The hose stretches up to 100 feet in length and has a 2″ diameter when expanded to full width.
When you are done backwashing your pool filter with this hose, it can be easily rolled up and stored. When rolled, the hose weighs close to 20 pounds due to the thick, sturdy material.
- Agricultural Grade Lay Flat Hose that will last for years
- Heavy Duty Construction, Manufactured with High Tensile Strength Polyester Fiber
- Lays Flat for Easy Storage
- Formulated with UV Protectors
- Working Temperatures - 5 degrees F to 149 degrees F
- Inside diameter: 2″
- Length: 100′
- Material: Polyester fiber
- Weight: ~15-20 pounds when rolled up
- Made with UV protectant layer to withstand outdoor conditions
- Includes clamps for secure attachment to filter
- Hose resists twisting, kinking and fraying
- Rolls up flat for easy storage
- Heavy to carry and transport
Pooline Products Backwash Hose
⭐ Most Affordable
This thin, light blue colored hose is another option for your swimming pool backwash needs.
Like the HydroMaxx hose, this Pooline Products device lays flat on the ground until water starts to flow through it. It’s worth noting that this hose should be lying completely flat before beginning your backwash cycle, or else it might tear from the pressure.
The hose can attach to a 2″ filter or smaller and comes in 50, 100, or 200 feet portions. The hose works well for a backwash session but may not consistently work the same way due to the hose’s thin material.
When you finish backwashing, the hose can be easily rolled up and stored out of the way.
- Backwash Hose
- The most affective and affordable pool products you can rely on
- Durable water hose for pool maintenance equipment assembly
- Length: 50′, 100′ or 200′
- Inside diameter: 2″
- Weight: 4 pounds
- Easy to roll up and store efficiently
- Lightweight and flexible material
- Does not include clamps
- Thin material is easy to rip or puncture
U.S. Pool Supply PVC Swimming Pool Backwash Hose
⭐ Easiest to Store
If you’re tight on storage space, this backwash hose might be just what you need.
This hose is available in either 50 or 100 feet lengths. Whichever length you choose, you can easily unroll your hose and use it for backwashing your pool filter without a problem.
When you finish, the hose can be folded in on itself and wrapped around in a circle to be stored. Even when it is completely rolled up, this hose is lightweight and easy to handle.
U.S. Pool Supply is also a popular brand for pool chemicals and cleaning devices. Their products have been used all over the country and are available at most major retailers.
- Heavy Duty Blue PVC Swimming Pool Backwash Hose with Hose Clamp
- 1-1/2" (38mm) Diameter by 50' (15.2m) Long
- Heavy Duty 0.025&Quot; (0.6mm) Wall Thickness
- For Use While Back-Washing Filters and Draining Pools
- Ships From The U.S.A.: U.S. Pool Supply is a Trusted Worldwide Company That Has Been In Business For Over 45 Years.
- Inside diameter: 1.5″
- Length: 50′ or 100′
- Weight: about 3.5 pounds
- Includes hose clamp for easy storage
- Full one-year warranty is included with purchase
- Easy to store
- Creases in the hose can lead to weak spots and tears in the material
Eastrans PVC Lay-Flat Backwash Hose
⭐ Most Size Options
This backwash hose takes the guessing out of whether or not your hose will fit your pool filter correctly.
While most available backwash hoses will have a 2″ diameter, this hose comes in a range of 1.25″ to 3″ in diameter. You can also pick a length of 25, 50 or, 100 feet, depending on the width you need for your filter.
There is a sizing guide available with the selling information for this product to ensure you pick the pipe that will work best for your filter size.
- Discharging Hose Detail - Inside Diameter: 1.25inch; Inside width: 2inch; Length: 50 feet; Working pressure: 90PSI; Temperature Range : 23°F to...
- Easy to Use - Widely used in in-ground and above-ground pool equipment, easy to fit over a 1.25” or less filter outlet. After use, simply flat...
- High Quality Material Made - Pool discharge and backwash hose is made of PVC material, the material is resistant to abrasions and corrosion....
- Heavy Duty Pool Hose- High pressure resistance, weather and chemical resistant, aging resistant, wear resistant, ideal for water transfer. Essential...
- Excellent Customer Service- Our aim is to provide consumers with more practical and durable hoses. Any questions about the product, please CONTACT US....
- Width: 1.25″ to 3″
- Length: Up to 100 feet
- Material: PVC and polyester fiber
- Weight: 6 pounds
- Large variety of hose lengths and widths works better than a one-size-fits-all approach
- Lightweight hose is easy to transport and store
- Polyester fiber is circularly woven to prevent leaks and tears
- Hose material can be punctured or damaged when rolling and unrolling for storage
- Not very flexible for fitting incorrect filter sizes
Eastrans PVC Backwash Hose with Cam Lock Fittings
⭐ Best Hose with Fittings
The strong, polyester fiber of the hose is durable enough to withstand weather and use while still being flexible enough to fold in on itself for storage. This hose is a bit on the heavier side as a flat lay option.
The Cam Lock aluminum fittings included with this hose consist of a clamping connection with two male groove adapters for connecting two female cam couplers. The Cam Locks are also heat-treated to extend service life and performance.
This hose is one of the only pool backwash hoses on the market with Cam Lock fittings that ensure a proper connection with cam couplers.
- Pool Supplies - Flat discharge hoses for swimming pools with durable pvc water hose and heavy duty connectors resist to oils, grease, acids, and many...
- High Quality - Discharge hose is made of flexible PVC material reinforced with a continuous high tensile strength polyester yarn circularly woven to...
- Standard Pump Hose - Hose Length: 50 feet; Inside Diameter: 1.5 inch; Working pressure: 90PSI; Temperature Range : 23°F to 149°F (-5°C to 65°C);...
- Easy to Storage - Water discharge hose is fitted with the connector, which can be easy to directly connect to the pump, and after using, easily flat...
- Excellent Customer Service - Our aim is to provide consumers with high grade and more practical pool hoses. Any questions about the product, please...
- Inside diameter: 1.5″
- Length: 50′
- Material: PVC and aluminum
- Weight: 7.5 pounds
- Moderately priced
- Heavy-duty hose is protected against rips, tears, and weather damage
- 50′ is the only available length
Recap: The Best Pool Backwash Hoses
- GORILLA Swimming Pool Backwash Hose: Best Heavy Duty Hose
- HydroMaxx 2″ Diameter Heavy Duty Lay Flat Backwash Hose: Best High Pressure Hose
- Pooline Products Backwash Hose: Most Affordable
- U.S. Pool Supply PVC Swimming Pool Backwash Hose: Easiest to Store
- Eastrans PVC Lay-Flat Backwash Hose: Most Size Options
- Eastrans PVC Backwash Hose with Cam Lock Fittings: Best Hose with Fittings
Our Research Criteria
Deciding on the backwash hose to use for your swimming pool cleaning needs can be an overwhelming process with lots of similar options. The research criteria we used to determine which pool backwash hose is the best include the following.
The length of your hose should correspond with the distance you need to transport your backwashed water. Some cities will have specific protocols about where to dump your excess pool water, whether in the street, in a sewer, or into the woods.
You can always cut or adjust a backwash hose that is too long, but you cannot add onto a hose that is too short for the job. Opt for a hose with a longer length than you need, just in case.
The hose’s inside diameter is important because it directly corresponds with the attachment point on the filter. A hose with too small of an inside diameter will not fit over the filter and require an attachment or a larger hose.
Hoses with too large of an inside diameter can sometimes still work, but extra effort and tools will be required to make the process work effectively.
Aim to purchase a hose with an inside diameter that is about .25″ larger than the pool filter size. Measure your pool filter before purchasing the backwash hose.
The material of your backwash hose matters because that will determine the lifetime of your purchase.
Generally speaking, vinyl hoses are flimsy, unreliable, and easily torn. Hoses that include a reinforced PVC material or woven with a circular motion with strong polyester are better, more durable options.
Though cost should not be the deciding factor for this purchase, it still plays a role in the decision.
Ideally, you will only have to buy one backwash hose for your pool for several years at a time. Prepare to spend a little bit more than you may have expected to guarantee a higher quality in your hose.
You should be able to unwind and use your hose every week for regular maintenance without an issue. Higher quality hoses may cost more money, but it’s a purchase worth investing in for time and money’s sake.
That’s it! Have questions? Shoot me a message on our contact page, I’d be happy to help in any way I can.
As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases. Participation in these programs helps us keep the lights on at PoolResearch.com and in no way impacts our research process or editorial opinions.