While having your own pool can make swimming more convenient than ever, diving into a pitch-black pool can be more than a little scary – it can be a safety hazard. This is where pool lights can come in. Along with keeping you safe every time you feel like taking a night swim, many pool lights can also help create a relaxing atmosphere as well.
However, with so many choices out there, finding the right set of pool lights can feel impossible. I reviewed and assembled a list of the best pool lights on the market.
My Favorite Pool Lights
We found six pool lights in my research that beat the competition. Below are a bunch of details about each of my recommendations.
50W LED Pool Light for Inground Swimming Pool
⭐ Best LED Light
Designed to provide all the light you need in the daytime or nighttime, the 50W LED Pool Light is a heavy-duty option meant to offer maximum brightness. Unlike some bulbs, which can use much more energy than they need, this efficient bulb saves up to 80% of energy.
Installing this light in your pool is easy too. All you need to do is unscrew the old bulb and replace it with this LED light. Although it may not fit some smaller house fixtures, this pool light is designed to fit most houses.
If there’s an issue with the product, Happox offers both a replacement guarantee or no-hassle money-back guarantee if you find that the light doesn’t live up to expectations.
- HIGH BRIGHTNESS - Designed to replace incandescent bulbs in pool fixtures, high brightness OSRAM LED chip are ideal for swimming pool bulbs.
- COST SAVING - 50W LED pool bulb replaces up to 300-800W incandescent bulbs. Energy saving more than 80%.
- EASY TO USE - Unscrew the old bulb and replace the LED bulb. Support AC85-277V input. Note: This version is 120V version and does not support AC/DC...
- COMPATIBLE LIGHT HOUSING - Bulb Dimensions: 3.74*4.72Inch. Fit most pool housing except small SPA fixture, such as Hayward astroite TMSP058 series,...
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE - No hassle money back or replacement guarantee. If you are not satisfied with the purchase, we promise to refund your...
- Replaces 300-800W incandescent bulbs
- Saves up to 80% energy
- Comes with a money-back guarantee and free replacement
- Easy to install
- Not compatible with 12V housing
LOFTEK Floating Pool Light
⭐ Best Floating Lights
Although these LOFTEK Floating Pool Lights may be designed to light up your pool during the night, they can also double as a toy for nighttime swimmers. With ten different balls, you can quickly spread these colorful lights out across your inground pool. However, some people may also choose to put these lights in above-ground pools, ponds, gardens, or even a fountain.
To make these lights even more waterproof, the battery box on the bottom of the lights has been upgraded to be completely waterproof (so there’s no chance of accidental damage or destruction). These lights are designed to hold up even in thunderstorms, heavy rain, or other extreme weather changes.
To add a little bit of decoration to these lights, you can switch between the two modes (flash and fade) and change the color on the lights to fit the theme of a party or season.
- Comes with 6 extra batteries
- Made with vinyl
- Batteries last 30-70 hours
- Waterproof: IP65
- Lightweight and easy to transport
- Colors can change
- Long battery life
- Even if the light isn’t turned on, batteries may still draw some power
Floating Pool Lights Battery-Powered Floating Flowers
⭐ Best Battery-Powered Lights
Whether you’re looking to add a little extra decoration to your nighttime swimming or need colorful lighting for a special event, the Floating Pool Lights Battery-Powered Floating Flowers might be what you need. With foam material that makes these lights look like lotus flowers, these floating lights can easily spread across most water surfaces. Unlike some lights, the colors on these flowers won’t fade when they’re put in the water.
There are seven different color changes, and the lights transform slowly from one color to the next. While the batteries in the lights can provide up to 100 hours of continuous light, replacing the batteries is easy. The bottom of the flower is also designed to be waterproof to rotate more smoothly in the water.
- ☻☻☻BEAUTIFUL & LIFELIKE☻We have a new design patent.Lotus Made of good foam Material, Very lifelike Artificial Lotus Flowers have bright...
- ☻☻☻UPGRADE WATERPROOF☻We optimized the bottom waterproof battery box to make it rotate smoothly.In order to bring the Best quality of...
- ☻☻☻COLORS CHANGEABLE☻We now adopt the gentle and comfortable slow flash transformation, which is no longer uncomfortable dazzling light (Red...
- ☻☻☻BATTERY CAN BE REPLACED☻Every lotus include 2 CR2032 and Provide up to about 100 hours of continuous work, so it can be reused just with...
- ☻☻☻VARIETY OF USAGE☻Easily pool lights that float on the water, the flowers are great decorations for water features, home and special events...
- Batteries have a 100-hour lifespan
- 7 color changes
- Made with foam material and dragonfly decoration
- Colors stay vivid when the flowers are put in the water
- Lasts longer than some other choices
- Slow color change transformation
- Might not be as durable as some other options
Life-Bulb LED Color Pool Light Bulb For Inground Pool
⭐ Best Inground Pool Light
While floating lights might be convenient to use whenever you want, they can’t always provide the same brightness or coverage as the LED Color Pool Light Bulb from Life-Bulb. With a lifetime replacement warranty and 24/7-hour customer service, any issues you encounter with the Life-Bulb Pool Light don’t need to become a major ordeal. If you have questions or think there’s a problem with your product, all you need to do is pick up the phone.
Keep in mind that the lifetime warranty guarantees free replacement during the first year after purchase, but after that, customers can get a replacement for 50% off the current purchase price.
Newly redesigned, the Life-Bulb’s updated model is meant to last much longer than its predecessors. With 16 different color modes that include red, green, cyan, and even white, this vivid inground pool light can illuminate your pool during the night.
- Weighs 1 lb.
- 16 different color modes: 9 light shows and 7 fixed colors
- Includes remote control for convenience
- Several different color settings
- Lifetime replacement warranty
- Lightweight and portable
- Cannot be used in a 12V light system
- Meant for inground pools only
Moonbrook Submersible LED Waterproof Lights
⭐ Most Affordable Lights
Regardless of the occasion, the Moonbrook Submersible LED Waterproof Lights can provide fun and vivid lighting at a more affordable price. For convenience, these lights include a remote control that works within ten meters of where the lights have been set up.
Unlike some pool lights, which must float on the surface to avoid water damage, you can submerge the Moonbrook Lights in the bottom of your pool, a water fountain, or even take them indoors if you want to. As IP68 waterproof, these pool lights are versatile and can light up any area you put them in.
When you’re using them, these batteries can last up to twelve hours, ensuring that they’ll provide all the lighting your party or special occasion needs. If you aren’t satisfied with the 4-pack that you receive, Moonbrook offers a complete refund and 24/7-hour customer service if you have any questions.
- ♥Create an Atmosphere: Unique Floral Design and Variety of Lighting Patterns, Using Diving Led Lights as Decorative Lights to Provide A comfortable...
- ♥LED Remote Control Diving Lamp: 24 Key Infrared Remote Control Within 10m Range, 4 Dynamic Color Changing Modes (Flash / Stroboscopic / Fading /...
- ♥Safe and Waterproof: the Best Thing Aabout this Home Accessory is that it's IP68 Waterproof, Which Means that These RGB Lamps Work Well both...
- ♥Energy Saving Remote-Controlled: by Three AAA Batteries (Excluding Batteries), Will Last 10-12 Hours with Qualified Dry batteries, Easy to Replace...
- ♥AFTER-SALES SERVICE-100% Refund if You are not Satisfied with our Products, Whatever the Reason. If You Have any Questions, Please Feel Free to...
- 4W power
- 10 SMD bright LED chips
- Made with plastic
- Uses 3 AAA batteries
- 10-12 hour battery lifespan
- Can be used as indoor or outdoor decorations
- Comes with remote control for convenience
- Portable and lightweight
- Plenty of different light and color modes
- Shorter battery lifespan
- May not be as durable as some choices
HAPIKAY 2019 Solar Floating Pool Lights
⭐ Best Solar Lights
One irritating aspect that comes with pool lights includes replacing the batteries. While some batteries may last up to 30 hours, using your pool lights regularly also means replacing those batteries regularly too. Fortunately, that isn’t an issue with the HAPIKAY 2019 Solar Floating Pool Lights. With this product, there are no batteries included.
During the day, you can leave the lights in your pool and allow them to charge. Once the sun begins to go down, the floating lights will start to work. Although they’re designed to provide light, these large 14-inch balls can also double as nighttime toys for you, your kids, or even your pets.
Keep in mind that these floating lights come with a full refund if you aren’t satisfied within the first 30 days and a 2-year replacement warranty if there’s an issue with the product.
- Contains 1 14-inch ball
- The ball changes color every 25 seconds
- Has a charging time of 6-8 hours in the sun
- IP68 waterproof
- Can double as a nighttime toy
- No need to hassle with batteries or “plugging in” these floating lights
- Can hang from an attached loop
- Two reparative patches are included
- It may not work as well on overcast or cloudy days with less sunlight
- Can’t be cleaned with chemicals or traditional cleaning products
Recap: Best Pool Lights
- 50W LED Pool Light for Inground Swimming Pool: Best LED lights
- LOFTEK Floating Pool Light: Best floating lights
- Floating Pool Lights, Battery Powered Floating Flowers: Best battery-powered lights
- Life-Bulb LED Color Pool Light Bulb For Inground Pool: Best inground pool light
- Moonbrook Submersible Led Lights Waterproof: Most affordable lights
- HAPIKAY 2019 Solar Floating Pool Lights: Best solar lights
Our Research Criteria
Here are the research criteria I use to determine my top picks for pool lights and some factors to consider when purchasing pool lights.
Since pool lights are designed to illuminate your pool, it’s essential to find a light to provide all the illumination you need. For large inground pools, you may need to look for lights that come with higher wattages or voltage.
Smaller pools or ponds may not require as much light – they may only need the brightness emitted by one or two floating pool lights.
Ease of Installation
Before you buy anything, it’s always essential to ensure that the pool light will be compatible with your pool. For instance, some 120V lights may not work well with 12V pool systems. Many buyers choose to go with floating pool lights because there’s no need for installation.
Rather than trying to hook it up to your pool system, all you need to do is turn them on and let them float across the surface.
If you need to change a light bulb already in your pool, read my guide on how to change a pool light bulb.
With any product, durability is always crucial. Even the best pool lights can quickly become worthless if they cannot last more than a few months. It’s always a good idea to check what material the pool lights are made of. Vinyl and plastic, for instance, tend to hold up a lot better than foam or paper lights.
One concern with floating pool lights is that they aren’t always durable. Some floating lights may not work after getting scratched or may require repairs before they’ll work again.
If you’re having trouble with your setup, read my article on troubleshooting your pool lights.
Accessories and Added Features
One crucial factor to consider about pool lights is the added features. Since many buyers choose to use their pool lights during special events or parties, it’s essential to look at the special features. Some pool lights may include different light modes and several color changes, while others may only have one or two different colors.
While there’s nothing wrong with simplicity, the number of accessories and add-ons you want should depend on what you plan to use your pool lights for. If they’re only meant to be functional, having plenty of different color modes might not be worth it. If you want to use your pool lights as decoration at parties or special events, you may want more accessories.
And that’s about it. Also, make sure to read my pool lighting design guide for more info on lights.
As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases. Participation in these programs helps us keep the lights on at PoolResearch.com and in no way impacts our research process or editorial opinions.